Kymy of EYMM(Everything Your Mama Made) put out a notice in one of my facebook sewing groups that she was looking for testers, and needed it in a short turn around time - aka request was on Wednesday or Thursday and she wanted finished pictures by Sunday. Of course I applied! And then wondered if that was wise since it was for a knit top rather than woven. I'd never really sewn knits before. But I had plenty. I was asked to test size 4.
I am afraid of sewing with knits no more!
Seriously, this is the greatest pattern ever. It sews up so fast and looks amazing and I had NO problems with the knit fabrics. I'm kinda forcing myself not to make more right now. I made one for each of the girls, well sort of. The one for youngest fits Ilaria better, even though it is a size 2, it just seems too baggy under the arms for her. Looks super cute still though and she didn't ask to change the moment we got home from taking pictures (which the other two did).
It was actively snowing so we went to the library to take pictures.
A plus about this pattern is I think it will be easy to simply turn into a raglan sleeve top.
Pattern available here: Off the Shoulder top/tunic
Saturday, November 30, 2013
Monday, November 18, 2013
Welcome to my sewing blog! Very under used the last two years, I'm hoping to document my projects here instead of on Facebook since I have begun sewing a lot more lately. Ilaria Eve is what I was going to call my boutique if I ever had one, named after my first two daughters, my third daughter will just have to be happy that she's going to have the cutest wardrobe every what with her getting everything I've sewn for the other two.
I printed the pieces immediately - two things I love about the pattern right off: 1. The pieces have star outlines on each page joint. This makes lining them up SO much easier than any other PDF I have worked with and 2. This pattern has sizes 3 months to 12 years. Amazing and fantastic! I'm sure my kids will always be in need of at least two sizes meshed into one for proper fit.
Picking fabric was somewhat perplexing. I'm trying to use what I have before I can buy more, unless something is for a specific project (like fabric I just got for Hazel's cowboy quilt). And I wanted to cut it out now, so I needed to go with what is already pre-washed which makes the large cuts I have from Grandma's garage out. I ended up picking a piece of navy blue with white polka dots that I bought from someone's de-stash for super cheap earlier in the year and am pairing it with white for a pin-tucked yoke like Climbing the Willow did. Instead of the bodice ruffles I am going to use red piping that I got from Walmart clearance 2 or 3 years ago. This dress will be for Eve, my goal is to cut it out tonight and perhaps start the sewing on it as well, we'll see how the little ones co-operate with that plan.